Property owners are responsible for the safe and proper maintenance of public sidewalks along their property. Please report hazardous conditions by emailing Public Works or by calling 301-725-0088. The Department has an ongoing maintenance and replacement program.

Maintenance & Replacement Location Map

Public Works want its residents to be informed of hazardous sidewalk locations, i.e. tripping hazards, water ponding, or improper grade alignment, as well as issues with the curb and gutter or ADA Handicap ramps that need to be repaired or upgraded.

SidewalkNew Sidewalks

The construction of new sidewalks can be requested by petition, by property owners, or directed by the Mayor and City Council.


If you want to install or repair a public sidewalk, you must obtain a permit and specifications from the Department of Community Planning and Business Services, Permits and Code Enforcement Division. For more information call the Permit Office at 725-5300, extension 2238.

Broken Sidewalk

Questions or Comments

If you need any additional information or have any questions or comments, please call us at 301-725-0088 or you may email Public Works.