National Preparedness Month Week 2: September 10-16, 2023
Older Americans – Create a Support Network
During a time of crisis, it can be difficult to have access to the help you need. Having a support network around you will allow you to receive the specialized assistance you may need in a difficult time.
Your support network should have at least one person who can aid in the following:
- Have a key or alarm system access to enter and take care of your residence.
- Know where your emergency supplies and equipment are located.
- Know what medications you are taking.
- If you require any routine treatments administered by a hospital or clinic.
Pets – Build an Emergency Kit
An emergency kit should include essential items for basic survival, such as food and water for both people and pets. Build two kits, one larger for sheltering in place and one lightweight in case you need to evacuate. Review these kits regularly to ensure contents aren’t expired.
Some items you may want to include in your Pet Emergency Kits:
- Food. Keeping a 72 Hour supply of dog food in an airtight, waterproof container.
- Water. A water bowl and a 72 Hour supply of water.
- First Aid Kit. Prepare a First Aid Kit for your pet, have medical supplies such as bandages, disinfectant, and medical instruments.
- Medicine. Keep an extra supply or any medication your pet takes on a regular basis in a waterproof container.
- Collar with ID tag, a leash or harness. Keep a backup leash, collar, and ID tag. Have copies of your pet’s registration information and other relevant documentation in a waterproof container and available electronically.
- Sanitation needs. Include pet litter and litter box (if appropriate), paper towels, sandwich bags to pick up poop and trash bags.
- A photo of you and your pet. If you and your pet become separated during an emergency, a photo of you and your pet together will help you document ownership and allow others to assist you in identifying your pet.
- Familiar items. Put favorite toys, treats, or bedding in your kit. Familiar items can reduce stress for your pet.