Mayor Craig A. Moe and the members of the Laurel Police Department would like to offer the following tips for your safety during the Holiday Season, which is quickly approaching.
If You Are Traveling for the Holidays:
* Make sure all doors and windows of your residence are properly secured while you are away.
* When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
* Make sure that you have recorded the serial numbers of your property in order to aid the Police in identifying your property if it is stolen and recovered. It is recommended that you mark or engrave your property with an identifying code or number that only you can identify.
* Valuables should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
* If possible use automatic indoor and outdoor lights timers set randomly to avoid repetition that can be detected by criminals.
* Leave a radio or television on so the house sounds occupied.
* Check with your local police department to see if they provide " House Watch patrol" services for unattended residences during the holiday season.
Tips for Shopping:
* Stay alert! Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you.
Shop with a friend(s), there is safety in numbers.
* Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
* Pay for purchases with a check, credit or debit card.
* If possible, carry only your driver