Permits are obtained by submitting an electronic application on the Permit Portal


The following steps must be followed when using the Permit Portal:

1. Create a New Account (click on the Login or Register button) or if you already have an account (sign In through this button).

2. After you sign on, click on the Permit button.

3. Find the permit that you are looking for and click on the Apply blue button to start the process.

4. Fill in all information leaving no blanks.


Sec. 20-1.12 (e) of the Unified Land Development Code allows for private noncommercial sales in residential zones (i.e. yard sales, garage sales, lawn sales, etc.) provided that a permit is obtained.  An individual yard sale cannot operate for more than thirty-six (36) cumulative hours and may not constitute a nuisance due to traffic, noise or volume of customers.  A yard sale permit must be displayed at the sale site.  Signs advertising a yard sale may be posted on private property and in public right-of-ways from 4 p.m. Friday till 12 noon the following Monday, prodivded none of the signs exceeds 3 sq. ft. in area.  Signs cannot be attached to trees, utility poles, public benches, street lights, walls or fences.

No more than two (2) yard sales can be held at the same property within a given calendar year.  To obtain a yard sale permit, an application must be submitted at the Office of the Fire Marshal and Permit Services, located at 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, Maryland 20707.  in most cases, yard sale permit applications can be processed and a permits issued while you wait.  The fee for a yard sale permit is $5.00. 

Please note: The City only accepts cash for a yard sale permit because the fee is under $10.00

Permit Category


Fire Marshal & Permit Services

The Department of the Fire Marshal and Permit Services (FMPS) is divided into two Divisions who are responsible for the management and enforcement of the City’s codes and ordinances as it relates to wide range of areas, to include building and property standards, fire and life safety standards, rental housing licenses and permitting services.