Laurel Armory-Anderson & Murphy Community Center
422 Montgomery Street
Laurel, MD 20707
Monday & Wednesday
12noon. - 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We offer confidential Family and Individual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to assist our clients in dealing with their problems and improving their quality of life. We stress recognition of individual and family strengths, which can be utilized and complemented in the counseling process. We help clients, individuals and families, formulate initial goals which are measurable and attainable so that they are able to feel successful in their counseling efforts.
To access counseling services, please call our office at 240-294-1304 during business hours. The intake counselor will spend 15-20 minutes with you completing an intake form over the phone. Information gathered includes names, addresses, some additional demographic information and your description of the problem. The case will be assigned to the next available counselor who will then call to set up an appointment when an opening is available. Counseling is provided by licensed mental health professionals and/or interns who are supervised by a licensed mental health professional.
If you already have an appointment to meet with a counselor for an initial session, please review our Privacey Notices and Parent Letter. Also download, complete and submit the Service Agreement & DFS Consent forms to the office by mail, drop-off or via your cliant portal at the therapyportal.com/p/hhands/
Telehealth is an option for conducting therapy, in which the cliant and the therapist are in different locations and involves the use of interactive audio, video, or other telecommunications or electronic media.
whereas Teletherapy has many advantages e.g. convenience and flexibility, there are some limitations e.g. miscommunication and increased risk of technology breaches ect. You and your therapist togeather can make the decision as to whether telehealth is suitable for you and/or your family.
if you and your therapist agree that Teletherapy is appropriate, please download, complete and submit the Consent for Teletherapy & emergency Authorization form to the office by mail, drop-off or via your client portal at therapyportal.com/p/hhands/
Adult Services (limited availability during the day)
We offer a sliding scale based on household income and size for family and individual counseling. This is only available to Prince George’s County residents.
Our Drug and Alcohol assessments for students is $15 per session.
We also accept some CareFirst BlueCloss BlueShield insurance plans.
Payments can be made in the form of Cash, Checks, VISA, MasterCard, and Debit Cards and are due at the time of service.
Graduate Intern Training/Placement
Laurel Helping Hands accepts and trains graduate students who are in their final year of a counseling/social work-related program.
Our 20-hour a week, fall through spring internship program is competitive. If you are interested, please contact our agency. Student resumes are accepted in January and applicants are typically interviewed and accepted in February/March.
Responsibilities And Duties
• Build and maintain an active caseload of a minimum of 4 to 8 clients.
• Serve as a co-facilitator in group therapy sessions.
• Attend one-hour individual supervision session per week.
• Actively participates in training as required.
• Complete case notes and documents as required within applicable time lines.
• Conform to all legal and ethical standards applicable to psychotherapy, counseling or social work providers as required by state law, Laurel Helping Hands and the profession.
• Other related responsibilities, as assigned, to support specific Laurel Helping Hands needs.
Minimum Education and/or Experience
• Masters of Science or Masters of Arts degree in Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, Social Work, Social Sciences, Psychology or Pastoral Counseling.
• One (1) year of related experience and/or training.
• Working knowledge of DSM-V and Counseling Theories.
• Authorization from the intern’s state licensure board to begin a trainee assignment, practicum or internship.
• Current Liability Insurance.
• Successful completion of pre-screening background check.