The Gude Mansion is rare surviving example of a three-story brick house in the Greek Revival style, and the county's only one with a full lighted third-story. Originally part of the Snowden Family New Birmingham Manor lands, in 1855 it was purchased by the Tyson sisters as the site for their Alnwick Femal seminary, a year later 50 acres south of the school building were sold to John D. McPherson, who constructed the main structure we see today.
In 1875, Armand Jardin, a French horticulturalist and native of Normandy, France, purchased the house. Prior to moving to Laurel, Jardin supplied the rosebuds and other white flowers for President Lincoln's funeral. His wife donated the large central altar at St. Mary's in his memory in 1886. It was believed that Jardin built the structure's north wing with its slightly different detail and semi-octagonal bay. The Jardin Family occupied the house until 1904.
In 1926, it became the property of William Gude, who at the same time, bought the 160 acre Alnwick seminary property. The Gude family extensively renovated the property, adding molding and replacing the original mantles with the corbelled brick. It remained the Gude family home until 1980. Since 1988, the Gude Mansion, which is the heart of the Laurel Lakes development, has been a commercial property. The previous owner Margeret and William Miller, operated Benefit Resources, Inc. and remained sensitive to the building important architectural elements. The 1865 sections of the Gude Mansion were laid in 5:1 American bond brick and rest on stone foundations. The building has a molded wood cornice and eaves with deep overhang. The structure features a distinctive side stair hall and and double parlors. It's beautiful interior open-string stair rises along the north (and originally exterior) gable, turns 90 degrees. Visitors shoujld particularly note the turned newel and balusters. The West wing was also part of the original structure. The basement of this structure was likely the home's orginal kitchen and features the only basement fireplace. The North wing, built by Jardin, features 2 1/2 stories, 2 bays, and a shallow-pitched gable roof. Note the one-story semi-octagonal bay and 5-pane bull's eye window which light's a crawl space above the second-story of this wing.