To recognize and honor certain Laurel’s “Hometown Heroes”, in and around the City of Laurel.
The City of Laurel Hometown Heroes Banner Recognition Program recognizes and honors the service of Laurel residents and their family members to the United States Armed Forces, local Law Enforcement, Fire and Rescue organizations, and others as warranted.
Mayor’s Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff or designee, City Administrator or designee, Director, Department of Public Works, Laurel Board of Trade members (2).
The Award Committee will develop criteria for the Honorary Banner. Approved attached criteria.
The Laurel Board of Trade will arrange for the collection of funds for and purchase of Honorary Banners. The City and Laurel Board of Trade will arrange for storage and/or final distribution of Honorary Banners. The Mayor will present a citation to the family of the honoree. The City of Laurel will provide the labor and equipment for banner installation and removal, as well as maintenance of the banner hanging poles and other materials.
Award Selection Dates
Banner (light poles) poles on Cherry Lane, Van Dusen Road and other areas of the City that are approved by the City Administrator or Mayor.
Existing banner holders, flag poles, installation equipment
The City of Laurel Hometown Heroes Banner Recognition Program recognizes and honors the service of Laurel residents and their family members to the United States Armed Forces, local Law Enforcement, Fire and Rescue organizations, and others as warranted. Any City resident or business owner may nominate an honoree but the family of a nominee must be advised of the nomination, consulted about the banner design and must agree to the banner award and placement. In order to qualify for this nomination the following criteria must be met:
1) City of Laurel residents and their family members who served in the United States Armed Forces
2) Members of the Laurel Police Department
3) Members of the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department
4) Members of the Laurel Volunteer Rescue Squad
5) Individuals who have saved the life of another under heroic circumstances
6) Individuals who lost their lives in the line of duty
7) Individuals who have made significant contributions to the City of Laurel or the Laurel Community