The Department of Information Technology is committed to providing the systems necessary to enable employees to achieve their goals, to support computer training throughout the City, and to assist the City in effective management, administration and service operation and in delivery of its services; to provide the widest possible access to computer systems; and, to provide appropriate support in the use of these systems. Besides the Information Technology component, this department is responsible for administering an Intern Program.
We provide integrated information technology support for the City's communication systems (computers, phones, pagers, radios, voice, etc.).
The primary responsibility of the Department is to oversee all facets of administrative computing. The major areas of concentration are:
- providing technical support in evaluating, selecting, implementing, and maintaining systems and application software
- developing and maintaining user-defined systems
- developing information processing policies and procedures
- insuring the security of all communication & computer operations
- developing and implementing office automation systems
- developing and implementing strategic, tactical, and operational plans in the process of evaluating and selecting hardware and software
- reporting regularly on performance in carrying out these responsibilities to the City administrator.
The Office of Information Technology has partnered with local high schools, technical schools and colleges in the development of an internship program. Participants in the program are given the opportunity to gain work experience in an Information Technology Department and exposure to a variety of hardware, software and system architectures.
Interns are mentored by staff members affording them technical problem solving opportunities which will be of great benefit in their future information technology careers. For more information on this program, contact us using one of the methods below.
Questions or Comments?
If you have questions or comments, or need information from the Department of Information Technology, please call 301-725-5300 or email us at [email protected].