Thank you to all of you that proudly displayed your No Mow April signs and helped to create a healthy habitat for young pollinators.
With No Mow April officially over, we know that many of our yards are looking pretty bad right now. No. 1 priority is to be safe when mowing your high grass, so here are a few tips from Council member James Kole:
- Raise the mower deck as high as it will go.
- Go slow! The blade needs time to cut the grass.
- Only use half the mower deck (this prevents damage to the belts and engine).
- Cut dry grass. Wet grass clippings can bog the mower down and stall the engine.
- Rake and bag grass clippings. The grass clippings will be more than the grass can grow through, causing dead spots.
- Use the MyLaurel MD app or call Public Works at 301-725-0088 for a free Yard waste pick up for your bagged clippings.
AND, remember to return your sign at City Hall – we will reuse them for next year!