City Seal
The City Seal

Pride in Our Past and Faith in Our Future...

The Official Seal of Laurel was adopted by the Mayor and City Council in our Centennial Year of 1970.

An examination of the emblem will reveal branches of a Laurel bush on either side of a kingly crown that bespeaks the original British allegiance of the Calvert's and other early settlers of Maryland. The snowdrop and strawberry in the crown are pictorial representations of the interrelated Snowden and Capron names. The Snowden's needing no introduction and Horace Capron being the internationally famous resident who, while he lived here in the 1840's shook us out of our lethargy and made Laurel Factory a well-known agricultural and commercial Maryland town. The clasped hands signify brotherhood, and the triangle reminds all that Laurel pinpoints the conjunction of Prince George's, Anne Arundel, and Howard Counties. The silhouetted lion and its fleur-de-lis decorations are taken whole from the Prince George's County seal and flag. The anvil proclaims the early Snowden preoccupation with mining and smelting iron, and the sheaf of wheat the cog wheeled gristmill that eventuated into a major commercial site. The horse and knight remind all that Laurel's racetrack and nearby military and other Governmental installations have given the town's name new celebrity in modern times. The motto "Progressio Per Populum" is the Latin way of saying Progress Through People (rather than through luck or happenstance).

City Seal


The Department of Communications provides useful information of public interest and importance to the community, residents and businesses within the city limits, as well as the greater Laurel area.