With a Winter Storm Warning issued for our area from 3:00am, February 18th to 6:00am, February 19th, and forecasts calling for a chance of up to six (6) inches of snow and a quarter of an inch of ice, Mayor Craig A. Moe has signed Executive Order No. 2021-04, Declaring a Snow and Ice Emergency for Laurel, going into effect tonight, February 17, 2021, at 8:00pm, until further notice.
During a Snow and Ice Emergency:
- Parking is prohibited on the even-numbered side of designated City Snow Routes - remember ODD IS OK. Please be sure to move your vehicles prior 8:00pm tonight, February 17th, to ensure Public Works will be able to plow along the Snow Emergency Routes safely.
- Parking is prohibited on both sides of the street along State and County Snow Routes.
- Cars parked illegally along Snow Emergency Routes will be ticketed, towed, and impounded at the owner's expense and risk. If your car is towed, call the Laurel Police Department at 301-498-0092 for release information.
- The use of snow tires or chains is required to operate a vehicle during snow emergencies.
- City Ordinance requires all owners and occupants to clear ice and snow from sidewalks fronting their property within 12 hours after the cessation of snowfall or ice accumulation. Failure to clear your sidewalk may result in a fine. Please clear your sidewalk for the convenience and safety of pedestrians.
- Don't shovel ice and snow from your driveway or sidewalk onto the street. It causes a traffic hazard that must be plowed and salted again.
Be sure to charge your mobile devices ahead of the storm. If your power goes out, contact BGE at 877-778-2222, or visit their power outage map at https://www.bge.com/Outages/CheckOutageStatus/Pages/OutageMap.aspx.
Out of an abundance of caution, all Passport Appointments scheduled for tomorrow, February 18th and Friday, February 19th are CANCELLED.
City officials will continue to monitor the weather situation and we will post any updates to our Social Media platforms and website as they become available.
Thank you everyone for your cooperation and stay weather aware!