A longtime Southern favorite, deep-fried turkey has quickly grown in popularity, resulting in a significant rise in fires and related injuries associated with these cooking devices. The Fire/EMS Department does not recommend the use of a Turkey Fryer for cooking; however, we understand their popularity and the fact that they are widely used. Extreme caution should be exercised when turkey fryers are used. Safety Experts from Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) are concerned about the popularity and mis-use of these devices. The Fire/EMS Departments shares UL concerns about the increasing reports of fires related with turkey fryer use. UL does not certify any turkey fryers.
We urge all to be fully aware of the hazards associated with turkey frying and to use extreme caution.
* ALWAYS. use turkey fryers outdoors, at a safe distance from buildings and combustibles, and in full view of responsible adults. Make sure that there is at least 24 inches between the fryer burner and the propane tank.
* ALWAYS. place fryers on a flat, stable surface, and keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby.
* NEVER!. use water to extinguish a grease/oil fire
* NEVER!. use on wooden decks, carports or garages. Spills may ignite nearby combustibles and cause burns.
* ALWAYS. make sure to completely follow the manufacturer