Released on November 10, 2009 - 12:06pm
May 04

    Please remember to only hire
Contractors who are licensed with the Maryland Home Improvement
Commission (MHIC). When selecting a Contractor, be sure to ask the
Contractor for their license number and contact the Maryland Home
Improvement Commission at 1-888-218-5925 or visit the Commission’s
website at to determine if the license is valid
and if the Contractor has had any complaints filed against them. You
can also find some other helpful tips on selecting a Contractor on the
website mentioned above. 

Please be advised that the City of Laurel requires permits for the following types of work:

Finishing Basement
Portable Storage Containers 
Yard Sales

     A permit is required to finish your basement. Please note that if
you complete improvements in your home without the proper permits and
inspections, and there is a fire or other type of damage to that area
of your home, your homeowners insurance is not likely to cover the cost
of repair. 

     Please note that any sprinkler system installation or modification
work requires a City of Laurel Life Safety Review permit. 

     The City of Laurel does not provide permits or inspections for
plumbing work. Any plumbing work requires WSSC (Washington Suburban
Sanitary Commission) permits and inspections. You can reach WSSC at

     Additionally, if your home/property is located within the Historic District any
exterior changes/improvements require a City of Laurel Historic District Commission Certificate of Approval. 

     If there is any work not listed above that you are considering
having done to your property, please do not hesitate to contact the
City of Laurel Department of Community Planning and Business Services
at 301-725-5300 Ext. 238. 

    Thank you for your cooperation with this matter.

City Seal


The Department of Communications provides useful information of public interest and importance to the community, residents and businesses within the city limits, as well as the greater Laurel area.