The Laurel City Police Department are pleased to offer you the Vacation House Check service while you are out of town. These are designed to give you a little more peace of mind while you travel, and make your home safer.
A vacation house check involves officers going to your residence, walking around the perimeter, looking for signs of unlawful entry, foul play, unlocked doors or windows, or anything else that may be wrong.
In order to provide this service in as efficient and safe manner possible the following guidelines are in place.
1) The Laurel City Police Department will check your home while you are away.
2) We will not do walk-around checks on homes that have house sitters staying at them. We will give the house extra patrol, but it is unsafe for our officers and your guests for us to be walking around your home in the middle of the night. If you have someone who is taking care of your animals and/or plants on a drop-by basis, we will still completely check your home.
3) We will only check residential properties, not business properties.
4) We will only check residential properties if you live there, we will not check vacant houses, other than to provide them extra patrol.
While you are on vacation don’t forget to:
1) Stop your mail
2) Stop your newspapers
3) Let your neighbors know where you will be, how long you’ll be gone, and how to contact someone in case of an emergency.
4) Leave a light and radio or television on a timer.
5) Lock your doors and windows.
6) Let the police know the description and tag number any vehicles will be parked on your property while you are away.
To schedule a house check contact the Laurel City Police Department at 301-498-0092