Board or Committee Meeting
Tuesday, October 25, 2022 - 6:00pm to 7:00pm

[email protected] is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://cityoflaurel-org.zoom.us/j/82224269790?pwd=dUtqd0tPRTczSTFpdTBRa1dTbDc0dz09

Meeting ID: 822 2426 9790
Passcode: 596535
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,82224269790# US (Washington DC)
+16469313860,,82224269790# US

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 646 931 3860 US
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 309 205 3325 US
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 386 347 5053 US
        +1 564 217 2000 US
        +1 669 444 9171 US
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 719 359 4580 US
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 822 2426 9790
Find your local number: https://cityoflaurel-org.zoom.us/u/kb140wF6Y

Agenda

AGENDA

ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2022, 6:00 PM

BY ZOOM

  1. Call to order – James Kole, Chairman
  2. Roll Call
  3. Approval of Minutes from September 27, 2022, meeting
  4. Report from Environmental Programs Manager
  5. Updates from staff: City marketing plan, web page vs social media, opt out option for advertising flyers.
  6. Reports from subcommittees
    1. Website

 

  1. Bee City
  1. New Business

 

  1. Public Hearing
  2. Next Meeting – November 22, 2022

 

  1. Adjournment

Minutes

MINUTES

ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

Tuesday September 27, 2022. By Zoom

 

 

  1. Call to Order

    The meeting was called to order by Chairman James Kole at 6:01 PM

  1. Roll Call

Council member James Kole, Vice chair Kyla Clark, Jimmy Rogers, Janice Blitz, Barbara Robinson were present as were Laura Christoplos and  Mike Leszcz.

  1. Approval of Minutes from July 26, 2022, meeting

 

The minutes were approved as written

  1. Report from Environmental Programs Manager

Ms. Blair was not in attendance, so Ms. Christoplos gave a short update. The Blink charging stations are moving forward. So far, they will be in 3 locations: Municipal Center, DiPietro Center, and 312 Main Street.

The Bee City email is live, and the bee city page is up on Green Living.

 

The lot at 378 Main Street will be used for Main Street Trick or Treat on October 28.

 

 

  1. Reports from Sub-committees
    1. Website

Vision for Webpage

Ms. Clark would like clarification of the process to put things on the website.

She will email Chair Kole and staff with suggestions for layout and content to give it a fresh look and reorganize things.

Chair Kole asked staff to find out whether the administration would prefer updates to be made on the web page or set the committee up witha social media site for posts.

Monthly posts

Previously Ms. Clark would put together about 6 months of posts and submit them to the chair. Then the Communications Department would post them on social media.

Pictures of committee members

Ms. Clark would like to have a “about the committee members” section with a very short bio and picture. Ms. Clark would be happy to standardize anything sent to her.

Marketing Plan for EAC

The marketing plan has been mostly social media, the webpage, promotions, and events. Ms. Clark will work on something. She would like to see the City’s marketing plan.

  1. Bee City

                        Recap of Sustainable Saturday.

The event was a big hit. It met requirements for having a pollinator event this year.

There were 2 sub-committee volunteers helping at the table. Twenty-one people signed up to volunteer for Bee City at the event.

Mr. Rogers stated that Laurel Bee City doesn’t mean anything to people  without context. Most people wanted to know about native plant gardening and about native pollinators.

The Chair of College Park Bee city came by. Allen Hew was interested in organizing a regional Bee City summit.

Mr. Rogers sent a follow-up email to everyone who signed up.

The Laurel Independent interviewed Mr. Rogers at the event.

Chair Kole had a follow-up meeting with Parks and Recreation about replacing some dead bushes with plants that are attractive to native pollinators.

Next steps: Garden plan feedback

Chair Kole said that the committee can recommend that straight species are used whenever possible (vs. cultivars). There was general agreement, but a vote was not taken. Both Chair Kole and Mr. Rogers have sources for native plants.

Mr. Rogers pointed out that two of the plants in the plan (purple coneflower and bluestar) are not native to this area, and he would like to replace them with similar ones that are.

There were concerns about the safety of having beehives in the park. Relocation to another area was suggested, or at least a barrier to keep children away.

Larry T. Smith activities: cleaning up the existing bed and placing stones

Next step is getting ready for planting. The focus is going to be on the front bed around the sign. Cleaning it up and putting edging around it to define the space. There is no date set yet for the cleanup. Cleaning and prepping is not date sensitive, and planting will happen in the spring.

Winter activities

Mr. Rogers would like to start working on the materials that will go on the website for education. His focus will be on what to plant and vendors for those plants. He also wants to do myth busting and advice.

He will get more input at the next sub-committee meeting.

Staff will get clarification from the administration of how input to the new email will be handled, and what the procedure will be for collection, storage, and output of information, and volunteer contacts.

 

 

 

  1. New Business

Opt out options for advertising flyers

Staff did not research. Will have it for next month.

 

Bike racks. How to make Laurel a more bikeable city.

Mr. Rogers would like to see bike racks on Main Street. ECD had some plans pre-pandemic.

The Main Street Committee will be coming back. Chair Kole will also look at the Mayor’s plan for a more bike friendly Laurel.

 

Chair Kole talked to the Sierra Club about the City’s plastic bag ban. They did research on trends before and after the ban. They would like to see a mandatory charge for single use bags. They would like to see Ms. Blair go out to do more education with businesses to find out how things are going, are they charging for bags, do they know they have the ability to charge for paper bags, etc.

Chair Kole would like to see some posts put out about reusable bags and reminding people about our current legislation. He will report back after Ms. Blair has a chance to go out and talk to people.

We are still having problems with compliance.

 

Mr. Rogers brought up right of ways and confusion about regulations governing what can be planted in them. Chair Kole is meeting with Director Love from ECD about some landscape related items. He is currently focused on tree legislation but will be looking at other landscape code recommendations in the future.

 

Chair Kole asked Mr. Rogers to find legislation from other jurisdictions that specifically call out that area and send it to him. Mr. Rogers said he would send over what Kate from DPW sent to him

 

 

  1. Next Meeting – October 25, 2022 Virtual

 

  1. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 6:44  PM

Green Living

Welcome to the City of Laurel’s Green Living page: A hub for residents and businesses to explore and support Laurel’s sustainability initiatives, track progress, and get involved!