Board or Committee Meeting
Thursday, March 17, 2022 - 7:00pm to 8:00pm

[email protected] is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://cityoflaurel-org.zoom.us/j/85737422357?pwd=ODhBbVQ5ZEZXbEVpZXFidERxTFcwdz09

Meeting ID: 857 3742 2357
Passcode: 964613
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,85737422357# US (Washington DC)
+19292056099,,85737422357# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 857 3742 2357
Find your local number: https://cityoflaurel-org.zoom.us/u/kdpZDRw2sd

Agenda

Meeting Agenda

Thursday March 17, 2022

7:00 p.m.

 

Please Note:  Due to the circumstances brought about by the COVID-19 Pandemic, this meeting will be held on a virtual platform.  To participate in the meeting, please use this link:

https://cityoflaurel-org.zoom.us/j/85737422357?pwd=ODhBbVQ5ZEZXbEVpZXFidERxTFcwdz09

If you wish to provide written testimony on any agenda item, you may send by mail to the Laurel Municipal Center or email to Laura Christoplos at [email protected].

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
  3. Approval of March 17, 2022, Meeting Agenda
  4. Approval of Minutes of the meeting of February 17, 2022
  5. Review Draft Report
  6. Adjournment

Minutes

 

 

Meeting Minutes

Thursday February 17, 2022

Virtual Meeting via Zoom

 

The No-Kill Community Animal Shelter Task Force Meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Chairman Bruce Dodgson. Roll was called with the following task force members present: Vice Chair Joanne Wilson, Helen Woods, Jody Broughton, Nicole Gore (mostly on the chat), Anthony Prater, Valerie Harris Gregory.

 

The minutes from the January 20, 2022, meeting were discussed, and 2 amendments were requested.

On a motion by Joanne Wilson, seconded by Anthony Prater the minutes from the last meeting were approved and passed as amended.

Discussion of the first draft of the report opened with Jody Broughton suggesting that it would be helpful to put (M&CC) after Mayor and City Council in the first paragraph to clarify the acronym’s meaning later in the report.

Chair Dodgson will send his photographs from site visits to the group for suggestions on which ones would be best to include in the report.

Chair Dodgson asked if the group wants to show the entire questionnaire tabulation on page 12 of the report or leave it as an appendix. All members who were on the meeting at that time agreed that that it would be better to have it in the text, and put the detail in the appendix.

 

On page 19, last paragraph, feedback was requested on the correct minimum number of cats -10 or 12.. Ten cats is low especially during kitten season. It was decided to clarify by saying a room large enough to accommodate x number of cats, with feedback from Helen Woods on the wording. The different

categories of cats were discussed (feral, friendly, quarantined, young kittens…), and it was suggested to think in terms of what type of cats rather than a specific number of cats. Different types of spaces are needed for different categories of cats. It was suggested to rough out a discussion of the issues with different kinds of cats for the report. There is also a difficulty in trying to address every need at the start rather than growing into the need.

 

On page 20 it says that the appendix will include excerpts from the operating budgets from Greenbelt and Bowie. It was suggested that the actual bottom line figures  from Greenbelt and Bowie be included in the body of the report. The group agreed.

 

Joanne Wilson mentioned that one benefit of having a shelter is that you grow community with this population of like minded people. The executive summary is a good place to highlight the esprit de corps that comes with a project like this. It will be another pro for the project.

 

The executive summary could be the place to discuss that the issue of cats is more complicated than it is portrayed in the report. Or we can just emphasize expandability for space and need, and flexibility.

 

Chair Dodgson will finish the two sections that aren’t done and send them to the editors. He will also send a rough outline of the site visits and photographs for feedback.

The finished draft will be reviewed at the March meeting. Any changes will be incorporated, and it will go to the Mayor and City Council in April. Laura will follow up with the City Administrator and mayor for their feedback.

The next meeting will be March 22, 2022, at 7 PM.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:47 PM.

City Seal

Office of the City Administrator

The citizens of Laurel are our most important asset. Our goal is to provide our citizens with the best possible government. To ensure our commitment to citizen service, we will: