The City of Laurel Youth Services Commission was created and established by Resolution No. 12-14 and passed by the Mayor and City Council on October 15, 2014. The Commission is made up of (7) members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. The term of the members shall be (4) members by (3) year terms and (3) members for two (2) year terms. Members may be reappointed for (3) year terms. All members are knowledgeable in youth programs and services, both athletic and non-athletic. At least four (4) of the seven (7) members shall reside in the City of Laurel. At least two (2) members shall have a business background. All members are required to complete the appointed official Financial Disclosure Statement to the City.
The Commission’s role is to identity, monitor and evaluate youth services, programs, and activities offered in the City of Laurel and surrounding area. The Commission will provide grants to assist Laurel Youth Organizations.
The Commission shall meet at least quarterly. Such meeting shall be open to the public. The Commission may utilize executive sessions when necessary and when allowed by the State Open Meetings Law.
The Public is welcomed and encouraged to attend. For information regarding agendas or related information call the City Administrators Office at 301-725-5300, extension 2203.
To serve as an advisory body to the City of Laurel representing the current needs and issues of the City's Youth. To identify, monitor and evaluate youth services, programs, and activities offered in the City of Laurel and surrounding area. To create a grant program to assist Laurel Youth Organizations and recommend the appropriate amount of funding in the City's operating budget. The Youth Services Commission will award annually based on competitive applications from Laurel Youth Organizations.
- Ascertain the needs of the youth in the City of Laurel & promote through providing financial assistance to non-profits who further this goal.
- Serve as a voice for youth by informing and providing youth with opportunities and resources to meet their needs.
- Provide youth opportunities through athletic, arts, recreational, educational and leadership.
- Provide timely responses to Non-Profit Group requests for youth programs.
- To develop a comprehensive and understandable plan for organizations providing services to youth
- Review and participate in a variety of youth activities, issues and projects within the city
- Promote the general welfare of the young people of the City.
- Provide a safe environment for youth services by providing leadership in promoting and supporting youth activities that promote good life habits in a safe environment
- Enhance public education programs to inform and communicate the current city programs that are available
- Identify and evaluate youth service programs that apply for funding. To assist in keeping a record of organizations, youth services offered, where offered and Laurel resident participation to ensure that the Youth of Laurel are getting effective service delivery.
- Build stronger relationships between the Community, the City of Laurel and the Youth Organizations through open communication and collaboration.
- Provide matching grants and upfront funding to Youth Program Organizations, if requested.