The application period is currently closed.
The 2017 application period is from Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am until May 05, 2017 5:00 pm. It is currently Oct 21, 2017 1:19 am.
We are pleased to announce that applications are available for the ninth year of the Mayor's Summer Job Program. The Mayor's Summer Job Program for 2017 is open to Laurel youth who are City residents between the ages of 14 and 16 as of June 26, 2017; the first day of the program. Youth in the program must have written permission from their parents or guardians (on the application form), provide a copy of their most recent report card and, once a job offer is made, submit a Work Permit available online. Participants will work 20 hours per week (on average) and receive $9.25 per hour. Work assignments are intended to be meaningful; to help motivate career considerations, develop good work habits, and promote the City of Laurel. The required dress will be appropriate to the work assignment. Actual employment dates will be from June 26, 2017 through August 18, 2017, a period of eight weeks.
Persons interested in applying may visit the Laurel Municipal Center at 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, to obtain an application, or they may download an application online once their age and address qualifications are verified. All applications must be received on or before 5:00 p.m. May 5, 2017. (Note that City Offices will be closed the afternoon of Thursday May 4, 2017.) All qualified applicants will go through an interview process. Individuals wanting additional information or who want to make sure they live inside the Laurel city limits may check online or call (301) 725-5300.
Provided below is information about the 12 positions available in this year’s program. Use this information to determine first and second choice of assignment on the application. The preference stated on the application will be honored to the extent possible, but the City reserves the right to make assignments as needed to maximize participation in the program.The “location” given indicates where participants would report for work each day. All positions involve a 20 hour workweek, typically 9:30 A.M. to 1:30 P.M. Monday through Friday, but subject to change by the assigned department. Positions that include work in Microsoft® Word or Excel require that the applicant be proficient in the use of that software. Training will be provided in Laserfiche® for those positions required to use it, but the participant must have basic computer skills. Phrases in italics are to be used to summarize the work when completing the Minor Work Permit application.
OFFICE OF THE MAYORLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, filing, copying, scanning documents, creating e-file system, computer work in Microsoft® Word and Excel, research and special projects, record PSA’s for activities in the Mayor’s Office and other duties as assigned.
CLERK TO THE CITY COUNCILLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, greeting visitors, copying; scanning ordinances, resolutions and minutes for Laserfiche® electronic storage, compiling hardcopies of the City Charter and Code; indexing miscellaneous printed historic documents, and other duties as assigned.
CITY ADMINSTRATOR'S OFFICELocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, filing, copying, pulling files for archiving or destruction, scanning, computer work in Microsoft® Word and Excel, research projects, and other duties as assigned.
BUDGET AND PERSONNEL SERVICESLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties with a special focus on scanning financial documents for Laserfiche® electronic storage, but also including filing, copying, pulling files for archiving or destruction, collaborating with other departments to perform an inventory of City businesses, special research projects involving tax accounts and business licenses, assisting with physical inventory of fixed assets and other duties as assigned.
LAUREL TV (2 positions)Location: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participants will assist with everyday work around the cable TV studio, assist in developing ideas for program segments on Laurel TV and research topics, line up guests for studio productions, assist with in studio productions and, as availability allows, assist with field shoots and coverage of local event/community interest stories for the City’s Social Media. Participant will also work up a program concept, produce the program by gathering talent, camera people and director, edit the taped segments and submit to Laurel TV for airing on the PEG Access Channel and other duties as assigned.
FIRE MARSHAL AND PERMIT SERVICESLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including filing, copying and computer work in Word, Excel and PowerPoint and will also do field work meeting with community members and business owners and perform other duties as assigned. The ideal candidate must be energetic, creative and have strong communications skills.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGYLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will gain practical hands-on work experience in managing computers and enterprise software within a network infrastructure. Participant will configure and troubleshoot desktop and laptop computers, setup and manage network management software on desktops and laptops, provide help desk level support for all City technology and perform other duties as assigned.
PARKS AND RECREATIONLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform a wide range of general office duties including, answering telephones, filing, coordinating paperwork and assisting with many of the organizational duties that are commonly performed by the administrative staff, as well as participate in departmental programs at recreational sites including working with the Senior Services Division, the Day Camp Program, Special Events and perform other duties as assigned. The participant must be available to work flexible hours not exceeding 20 hours per week.
POLICE DEPARTMENTLocation: 811 Fifth Street, Laurel, MD
- The participant will greet the public and perform general office duties with a focus on preparing parking tickets for entry and light filing, assisting staff with special projects, and other duties as assigned. There will be auditing of reports that are stored in records to assure reports are in proper order.
PUBLIC WORKSLocation: 305-7 First Street, Laurel, MD
- POSITION #1 - The participant will perform general office duties which will include, but are not limited to, working with the front desk staff to review the Public Works website for errors and consistency in formatting and update as necessary; update the Commercial Customer Information, Commercial Toter Survey and the HOA Contacts lists. Work with the administrative staff to improve the current recycling program, focusing on promoting America Recycles Day to the local elementary schools and high schools. Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Office and be familiar with web research. Experience in creative writing helpful.
POSITION #2 - Under the direction of the Assistant Director the participant will accompany workers in the various divisions of the Department of Public Works including the Streets Division, Waste Management and Tree Management. The participant will also work with the Engineering and Technical Services division to digitally scan City project documents and plans and update the MSDS book and the CLS list. The participant will participate in routine tours of the City to identify and report hazards in the right of way, and other duties as assigned. This position will involve a lot of walking and working outside.