SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
An employee in this position enforces building construction codes and standards. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of the Director, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Supervision is exercised over the work of all inspectors within the Department. The nature of the work performed requires that this employee establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, business and community groups, developers, State and Federal officials, representatives of the media and the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises, trains, evaluates, prioritizes work assignments, and manages daily operations and activities of inspection and code enforcement staff.
- Reviews complex plans and related construction documentation for approval.
- Oversees the enforcement of all building codes and standards.
- Participates in the development of Department policy in coordination with the department Director.
- Participates in budget development and administration.
- Provides status reports to the department Director on specific cases warranting attention.
- Administers and interprets municipal code of Ordinances and applicable State codes.
- Represents the department before District, Superior and Supreme Courts in matters relating to the enforcement of construction and property maintenance regulations.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the Department.
- Performs special projects for the Director as requested.
- Serves as the department Director during an absence.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas.
- Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
- Responds to provide emergency inspections during off-duty hours as need arises.
- Willingly and cooperatively accepts other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE – Bachelor’s Degree in fire protection, engineering, engineering technology or construction related studies, and five years related experience, including at least three years of supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of experience.
- CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS – Must possess the ICC Commercial and ICC Residential Building Inspector and Plan Review Certifications, NFPA Fire Inspector 1 & 2, the International Property Maintenance Code and Housing Inspector Certifications. Must possess or be able to attain the following certification in the National Incident Command System (ICS) within six months of employment: ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS-700 and ICS-800 within six (6) months of employment. Must possess a current and valid Class “C” Maryland driver’s license, or a comparable driver’s license issued by the employee’s state of residence, and a proven safe driving record. EOE
MUST BE ABLE TO PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, INCLUDING DRUG SCREEN, AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.
MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF FULL COVID-19 VACCINATION PRIOR TO YOUR START DATE