SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for providing administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the department. Supports the department through a variety of tasks related to organization and communication. Familiar with a variety of the department concepts, practices, and procedures. Ability to effectively communicate via phone and email ensuring that all Administrative Specialist duties are completed accurately and delivered with high quality and in a timely manner. Reports to the Department Head and performs administrative office duties under direct supervision of the Deputy Director. Individuals in this position must be able to establish effective working relationships with others and communicate well with other employees, the public, other City Departments, and other agencies.
Applicant must not have convictions of a felony or a serious crime. Applicant must also complete a background examination that may include, but is not limited to, a criminal history check, education and professional certification verification, credit check and drug testing before employment with the city.
High School Diploma or GED and some college level courses preferred, and a minimum of one (1) year of progressively responsible administrative experience.
Ability to operate a personal computer. Proficient in the use of typical word processing software such as Microsoft Word and the use of spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel. Able to learn and apply other office software and automated office procedures. Able to learn and use other computer-based processes including the City’s Software Packages for Finance and Human Resource. The ability to type 35 words per minute and produce work that meets departmental formatting requirements.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS - Must possess a current and valid Class “C” Maryland driver’s license, or a comparable driver’s license issued by the employee’s state of residence, and a proven safe driving record. Must possess or be able to attain the following certification in the National Incident Command System (ICS) within six months of employment: ICS-100, ICS-700. EOE
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for data entry, scanning and filing of Human Resources documents.
- Preparation and submittal of statements and invoices for payment.
- Maintains files of employment applications received and purges then as allowed by law.
- Issues reminders to departments on when employee evaluations are due.
- Responsible for scanning and filing all accounts payable documentation and cash receipts documentation
- Responsible for assembling information requested by the auditors.
- Responsible for preparing payments and invoices for mailing.
- Responsible for contract files.
- Responsible for distribution of Department mail.
- Assist with preparing budget document.
- Gathers, compiles, and analyzes data for preparation of reports related to Department activities.
- Assists with cash receipt entry and daily deposit preparation.
- Willingly and cooperatively accepts other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
MUST BE ABLE TO PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, INCLUDING DRUG SCREEN, AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.
MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF FULL COVID-19 VACCINATION PRIOR TO YOUR START DATE