Youth Services Commission
- Meets quarterly
- Gude Mansion 13910 Laurel Lakes Avenue Laurel, MD 20707
Agendas & Minutes
View the Clerk's Meeting Agendas and Minutes page for information on how to access current and archived meeting documents.
The City of Laurel Youth Services Commission was created and established by Resolution Number 12-14 and passed by the Mayor and City Council on October 15, 2014. The Commission is made up of seven members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. The term of members shall be four members for three-year terms and three members for two-year terms. Members may be reappointed for three-year terms. All members are knowledgeable in youth programs and services, both athletic and non-athletic. At least four of the seven members shall reside in the City of Laurel. At least two members shall have a business background. All members are required to complete the appointed official Financial Disclosure Statement to the City.
The Commission's role is to identify, monitor, and evaluate youth services, programs, and activities offered in the City of Laurel and the surrounding area. The Commission will provide grants to assist Laurel Youth Organizations.
To serve as an advisory body to the City of Laurel representing the current needs and issues of the City's Youth. To identify, monitor, and evaluate youth services, programs, and activities offered in the City of Laurel and the surrounding area. To create a grant program to assist Laurel Youth Organizations and recommend the appropriate amount of funding in the City's operating budget. The Youth Services Commission will award annually based on competitive applications from Laurel Youth Organizations.
- Ascertain the needs of the youth in the City of Laurel and promote through providing financial assistance to non-profits who further this goal.
- Serve as a voice for youth by informing and providing youth with opportunities and resources to meet their needs.
- Provide youth opportunities through athletic, arts, recreational, educational, and leadership.
- Provide timely responses to Non-Profit Group requests for youth programs.
- To develop a comprehensive and understandable plan for organizations providing services to youth
- Review and participate in a variety of youth activities, issues, and projects within the city
- Promote the general welfare of the young people of the City.
- Provide a safe environment for youth services by providing leadership in promoting and supporting youth activities that promote good life habits in a safe environment
- Enhance public education programs to inform and communicate the current city programs that are available
- Identify and evaluate youth service programs that apply for funding. To assist in keeping a record of organizations, youth services offered, were offered and Laurel resident participation to ensure that the Youth of Laurel is getting effective service delivery.
- Build stronger relationships between the Community, the City of Laurel, and the Youth Organizations through open communication and collaboration.
- Provide matching grants and upfront funding to Youth Program Organizations, if requested.